This is a completely arbitrary list of my own personal favourite fantasy and SF books I’ve read this year. They might not all have come out this year, and they’re not in any particular order, but you should check them out if you haven’t already!
- The Lies of Locke Lamora – Scott Lynch : from the List of Shame, made me gnash my teeth and wish I’d read it earlier!
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland – Cat Valente : so beautiful I went straight out and bought a second copy for my god-daughter.
- The Ocean at the End of The Lane – Neil Gaiman : Well worth the 3 hour queue to get it signed
- Between Two Thorns – Emma Newman : More fairies! Emma has had THREE books out this year, but this is the first one.
- Gemsigns – Stephanie Saulter : Thoughtful SF debut set in a genetically divided society.
- Blood and Feathers – Lou Morgan: Angels. Angels with GUNS.
- ACID – Emma Pass : Dystopian YA with the bad-assest heroine of the year.
- Ecko Rising – Danie Ware : It looks like SF, it’s actually brilliantly grubby sweary fantasy.
- London Falling – Paul Cornell : Witches, black magic, cannibalism, Clash puns…football?
- Hive Monkey – Gareth L. Powell : technically not out til next year, but what the heck. More Monkey mayhem!
- Fade To Black – Francis Knight : Urban fantasy, dark as the title suggests
- The Prince of Lies – Anne Lyle : The dramatic conclusion to the Nights Masque trilogy, which has been one of my favourites of the past few years.
- Paintwork – Tim Maughan : trio of near-future urban SF stories set in Bristol and beyond!
Those are my picks for the year anyway – what were yours?